We are a team of Software Engineers and Product professionals who have effective relationships with many satisfied customers. We are committed to understanding the FinTech sector and improving payment processes for SMB’s.
We are wanting a collaborative and skilled Technical Lead who is passionate about customers, delivering high-quality products, building robust solutions and can be both a technical champion and a mentor to a medium-sized team of like-minded individuals.
We’re a diverse and zealous team, committed to constructing some of the world's leading finance technology products, while providing an unparalleled experience to our customers. If you're passionate about adding new value to a robust team and diverse group of customers, have a love for all things tech and wanting to learn and be challenged, we are the company to join.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Being a highly technical, hands-on and effective manager for a team of 4 - 6 engineers
- Writing code for our mobile and web applications using React, NodeJS, React Native and Redux (with some gentle sprinkles of Objective C and Java as required).
- Building APIs and services on our back-end using Scala and PostgreSQL.
- Developing and managing a team of talented Engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
- Supporting and leading others who are doing the same.
- Working with our Product Management(s) as well as our design and UX minds to ensure that we deliver continuous value to our growing base of customers.
- Doing the hard and complicated to make it easier and simple.
- Be an active participant in the decision-making and planning of new features we will build, and how they are architected and implemented.
- Drive and lead the release and QA cycles of the teams code.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Who you are:
- You are happy writing both back-end code and doing some front-end work on Web and Mobile applications.
- Feeling a sense of excitement when offering input and contributing to the broader product discussion.
- Proven ability in taking a feature or product all the way from conception to completion and release.
- Nature, mould and lead junior developers.
- You feel empowered by learning new things and using modern technology.
- You are excellent at solving complicated problems, understanding real-world issues and delivering high-performance software.
- You can deliver stable yet flexible software that allows us to iterate quickly in order to deliver features.
- You build re-usable solutions that others can use to avoid re-inventing the wheel every time.
Key requirements to perform responsibilities:
- 6 - 8 years as a professional Software Engineer
- BSc Computer Science or equivalent is highly encouraged
- Experience with both back-end and front-end development
- SQL database experience
- A clear, real passion for software engineering
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and lead technical teams, including performance management
- Strong ability to work independently while still being collaborative and inclusive
- Experience in Java, Scala, Kotlin or any other JVM language
- Knowledge of multiple programming languages
- Mobile development experience
- Experience leading teams, designing and architecting products, working with customers
- Experience in the payments industry.
EXPECTATIONS OF YOCO EMPLOYEES
Dealing with People
- Communicating & influencing: Strong communication skills across various mediums, building collaborative relationships internally and externally.
Dealing with Business
- Preventing & solving problems: Diagnostic information gathering and research, analytical thinking, application of conceptual thinking to problem-solving.
- Achieving results: Proactive/initiative, customer orientated, fostering innovation, continuous improvement mindset, appreciation of results, business acumen, thoroughness and detail orientated
Dealing with Self-management
- Self-confidence, personal credibility, flexibility, adaptability and strong sense of personal accountability
VALUE PROPOSITION | WHAT WILL YOU BE GETTING?
As part of the Yoco team, you will play a key role in the growth of the mobile Point of Sale opportunity in South Africa.
To support this we have built a role-based organisation; where every individual is given the space to focus and develop his or her innate strengths. Everyone here has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels.
You will join a company that offers a competitive package for an early stage venture and have an employee benefit structure, with flexible working hours and a generous leave policy.
We encourage specialisation of your skill set, continuous learning and collaborative ways of working. We support career development, work-life balance and family life, creativity, authenticity and transparency.
Please Note: Thank you for taking the time to apply for this role. Please note that, at times, we receive large volumes of applications and this makes for an extremely competitive selection process. Should you not receive feedback from us within 4 weeks (depending on the urgency to hire), this would mean we are unable to move forward with your application. However, should anything change on our end, we will definitely reach out to you.