Yoco is a FinTech company. We focus on building tools and services to help small and micro businesses get paid, run better, and grow. We believe in unlocking entrepreneurial potential anywhere, empowering people to thrive and driving our economy forward.
Yoco was founded in 2013. Today we are a company of over 170 people, all driven by a common goal: keeping the needs of our customers at heart. Our vision is Open Commerce, and we want to do this to enable people to thrive.
The Risk & Regulatory team at Yoco is responsible for:
We are looking for an analytical individual to help us drive projects and improve anti- financial crime processes and enhance the Risk & Regulatory function within Yoco. This role involves a great deal of multitasking, context-switching and cross-collaboration across a wide variety of teams and projects.
- Developing and maintaining risk management and compliance frameworks
- Cultivating and empowering a positive risk culture in the business
- Working with various teams across the business to support in understanding and embedding the principles of sound risk management within the business
- Identifying opportunities to more effectively manage risk and financial crime, improve customer experience and improve operational scalability
- Driving the execution of the risk and regulatory roadmap by implementing systems, policies and operational changes to support the strategic goals of the business
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of risk-related activities to the leadership team, audit committee and regulators (as required)
- Contributing and supporting the business to maintain a regular cadence of forums and workgroups to facilitate the risk management process
We have embraced a remote work culture, so you’re welcome to apply from anywhere in South Africa.
This important role will be contributing to the continued development of the risk, regulatory and financial crime management framework, ensuring that they remain fit for purpose as the business continues to progress, grow and scale.
This role will assist in operationalising risk, financial crime best practices and regulatory requirements in Yoco’s Operations and Customer Engagement area (initially), supporting various initiatives relating to the implementation of risk management processes, ongoing risk guidance, assurances exercises and escalations.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
Reporting to the Head of Risk & Regulatory, the successful candidate will work as part of the broader Financial Crime Team, with specific responsibility for delivering anti-financial crime systems, procedures and controls. Financial Crime Lead is responsible for ensuring effective first and second line controls concerning anti-money laundering, financial sanctions and terrorist financing and broader delivery of risk mitigation and control maturity assessment of fraud and financial crime across the organisation.
As Yoco’s Financial Crime Lead, you will be responsible for:
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
- Assisting in the evaluation of risks as well as the implementation of various risk and regulatory initiatives to address these risks within the business
- Leading day to day operational anti-money laundering, financial sanctions and terrorist financing activities across the Yoco Group
- Lead assessment and improvement of adequate procedures to ensure effective prevention of economic crime, including anti-bribery and corruption and failure to prevent the facilitation of tax evasion
- Providing effective Subject Matter Expert visibility, understanding and assessment of the organisation’s financial crime threats, risks and overall control maturity
- Leading engagement with all business areas and committees to review/challenge the business unit assessment on financial crime risks and mitigating controls
- Delivery of key projects to identify and close critical gaps or vulnerabilities in all areas of fraud and financial crime
- Supporting the Head Risk & Regulatory in completing pro-active audits using data-driven detection tools
- Maintaining a high level of professional awareness and understanding of relevant external regulatory and legislative developments in South Africa and emerging markets.
- Maintain documentation relating to management and risk policies and procedures
- Prioritise feedback from teams on internal systems and seek continuous improvement to ensure we delight our customers.
- Adopt a continuous improvement mentality to enhance systems (drive automation), processes & planning tools to keep bettering the team to ensure we perform consistently ahead of the curve.
- Be autonomous. Work independently, and manage multiple projects under minimal supervision and be accountable for the quality of your work.
Key Skills and Requirements:
- Legal qualification (LLB) or relevant tertiary qualifications
- Sound understanding of risk, regulatory and compliance principles and frameworks
- 5+ years experience in risk management, compliance or financial crime in the financial services industry
- Previous roles within the regulatory and compliance field
- Experience in building and managing a team of anti-financial crime professionals
- Leadership qualities and ability to partner with both 1st line of defence units and 2nd line of defence functions
- Strong understanding of risk and fraud management principles
- Strong project management and organisation skills with the ability to multitask and prioritise
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to build strong relationships across business functions
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Data analysis using Excel / SQL / Python / R etc. (Advantageous)
- Higher Certificate in Forensics and Associate member of the Association of Fraud examiners or ACAMS (Advantageous)
- Process orientated
- Analytical thinker
- Ability to have a broad view and break it down to smaller achievable goals (Defining/formulating strategies/processes to achieve goals? )
- Data-driven and customer-focused
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Please note… Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.