Yoco is an African technology company that builds tools and services to help small businesses get paid, run their business better, and grow. We believe that by opening up more possibilities for entrepreneurs to be successful, we can help create more jobs, enable people to thrive and help to drive our economy forward.
Since our inception in 2014 we have operated in South Africa and have grown to serve over 120k small businesses. Our vision was never to be in only a single market, and we are now in an excellent position to execute our vision of helping small businesses in other parts of the continent, and world.
We are looking for an engineering lead to help us pioneer our journey into new markets in 2021 and beyond and lay the technical foundation for our international expansion ambitions.
As the engineering lead you will:
- Champion the needs of our international customer base through customer empathy, iteration, and service ownership.
- Write clean, testable code, which will be a model for the team around you.
- Technically lead a diverse portfolio of full-stack engineering projects.
- Oversee the development and live operation of systems related to our journey into new markets.
- Grow the team by hiring exceptional talent, coaching and developing engineers, cultivating pragmatic engineering decision-making, and leveraging your technical & managerial expertise to constantly raise the bar.
- Work with other leaders across multiple teams and departments to define the technical direction for the expansion business.
- Continuously develop relationships with product, engineering, expansion and other key stakeholders across teams and tribes.
- A curious, passionate, growth-oriented mindset.
- A desire to teach, improve, and otherwise force multiply the strengths of the engineers that surround you.
- At least 2 years experience managing and mentoring engineers (including providing feedback, investing in the career growth of your team members and growing teams).
- Experience designing and building full-stack applications in complex environments.
- Good at driving accountability
- High-level thinker, but also detail-oriented when executing on projects
- Emotional intelligence, empathy, and ability to establish trusting and strong relationships
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife
page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery.
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.