Help us build the future of commerce and empower small businesses to grow.
Yoco is an African technology company that builds tools and services to help small businesses get paid, run their business better, and grow. We believe that by opening up more possibilities for entrepreneurs to be successful, we can help create more jobs, enable people to thrive and help to drive our economy forward.
Our First Mile team is responsible for a prospective merchant’s journey throughout sign up, onboarding and activation. We are looking for an experienced backend engineer with a customer centric focus to join this team.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- Design solutions, write code, tests, and push to production independently.
- Perform code reviews, providing valuable constructive feedback to your peers.
- Investigate and resolve issues
- Monitor services and systems within the First Mile domain
- Work effectively across multiple teams and stakeholders to deliver projects.
- Mentor more junior developers.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Key requirements to perform responsibilities:
- 3-5+ years in software development.
- You have experience with Python and a framework such as Django or Flask.
- You have strong experience writing high quality back end systems and APIs.
- You’re comfortable with relational database systems.
- You write clean SOLID code.
- You have experience writing unit, functional & integration tests.
- You’re not afraid to fail, but learn from your failures and successes.
- You’re comfortable context switching, working on multiple products across various code bases and languages.
- Experience with React or a similar frontend framework is advantageous.
- Experience with Docker or Kubernetes is advantageous.
- Experience with Scala is advantageous.
- Experience with event driven architecture and services is advantageous.
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco Formula is our approach to how we work, as well as a set of behaviours that inspire us to create the best solutions for our customers.
The Formula has a few components:
Core Values – Our way of working.
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other.
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
The result? Flexibility, agility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You'll join a diverse, motivated and super skilled team. And you'll be motivated to grow as an individual to keep up.
To see it for yourself, have a look at our Exposure Gallery
. Photographer and Visual Anthropologist Gregor Röhrig has documented our journey in the form of beautiful photo-stories.
We're changing the world one small business at a time. Join us.
Please be aware that Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are really competitive and we tend to get a lot of applications. If you apply and don't hear back from us within 3 weeks, please reach out and follow up on your application status.