Yoco's Engineering team is looking for a highly motivated and adaptable individual to amplify and support our Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and ultimately the broader engineering and product delivery team.As Chief of Staff to the CTO:
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
- You'll be expected to float back and forth between strategic and tactical focuses, supporting efforts from annual planning all the way down to team execution on organisation-wide priorities.
- You’ll be given authority to drive key cross-cutting endeavours to continually level-up the engineering organisation.
- You’ll play an instrumental role in scaling the engineering organisation and helping us double the number of engineers this year.
- Unlocking/multiplying the work of the CTO and scaling the impact of the role.
- Be involved in the innovative work that Yoco is doing to change the landscape of small business payments in South Africa and beyond.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
1/ Drive strategic projects
2/ Facilitate the engineering leadership team
- You’ll drive key Tech organisation-wide projects, aiming at taking the engineering organization to scale and operate more efficiently: our Tech Delivery Capacity program and also our (about to start!) Humans in Tech program as well (better attracting and retaining makers).
- You will lead relevant meetings, coordinate relevant stakeholders contributing to your projects and follow-up on action plans and results.
- You will have a keen pulse for the engineering team and use this to propose new initiatives that will improve the overall health and happiness of the engineering team.
3/ Key contribution to Tech Executive Communications
- Support the Tech Management team governance: you’ll run weekly Engineering Forum team meetings, ensure communication of the key decisions and follow-up on actions
- Lead cross-cutting missions such as tech vision definition, follow-up and updates: you will organise work sessions, offsites and any kind of efforts for the Tech management team to improve its skills and the way of working together.
- Provide a bridge for smooth communication between the CTO and other executives and functional areas (Product, People, Marketing, Finance, Customer Relations and Legal) across Yoco, enabling effective cross-functional collaboration across the company.
- Provide decision support through research, analysis of information, and clear presentation of considerations.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Act as a trusted advisor and operator for the CTO, who can fill in as necessary in meetings, synthesizing information and feedback for quick decision-making
- Prepare memos, presentations, and emails for internal and external audiences. This involves setting the agenda for engineering all-hands meetings, internal keynotes, helping draft presentations to the executive team and board.
- Stay up-to-date with the Tech economy and community and leverage your knowledge in a Yoco context to sustain the businesses Tech ambitions.
Key requirements to perform responsibilities:
- The right candidate will have interacted with and managed significant engineering teams, set strategy and experienced technical organisations scaling. 7+ years of overall software development lifecycle experience or product management experience.
- Cross-functional project experience, working with many stakeholders across departments.
- Has managed engineering teams and/or geographically distributed projects
- Be comfortable working with executives and senior leaders, be proficient at running executive meetings
- Strong program management
- Structured approach to decision making, but with a strong bias towards action and speed
- Good at driving accountability
- High-level thinker, but also detail-oriented when executing on projects
- Emotional intelligence, empathy, and ability to establish trusting and strong relationships
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to influence others
- Flexible and able to shift their focus based on the needs of the CTO and the business.
THE YOCO FORMULA - HOW WE CREATE VALUE
The Yoco formula is a validated approach to work and a set of behaviours that create maximum value for our customers and help us grow.
Core Values - Our way of working to create value & grow
- Stay Connected
- Make Space to Explore
- Keep it Simple
- Master your Craft
Leadership Principles - How we show up, engage & treat each other
- Get to know each other personally
- Say what you think and challenge me directly
- Be courageous and focus forward
- Don’t let ego get in the way
To support this, we have built a role-based organisation where every individual is given the space to focus and develop their innate strengths. Everyone at Yoco has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels. You will be working with a diverse, motivated and skilled team who will continuously stretch you as an individual. To learn more about our culture, go to our #YocoLife
page or subscribe to our Exposure Gallery.
Join us on a meaningful journey at Yoco, and help enable our merchants to thrive through Open Commerce!
Yoco encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Open positions at Yoco are competitive and we often receive high volumes of applicants. If you have not received further updates on your application after three weeks, you’re welcome to request feedback.