Yoco is looking for a candidate who is comfortable building data infrastructure that scales exponentially year-on-year in terms of both volume and variety as more complex products are introduced into the ecosystem. You will be working closely with software engineers and data scientists to enable the delivery of actionable insights in real time. This will include building internal products/tools, utilising open-source software to schedule data jobs, facilitate data flows and enable integration between the various internal external systems.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
Set up automation
- You will find ways to turn manual, time-consuming tasks into automated systems - anything from scheduling data transformation jobs to operational process automation. You will be free to use cloud services (including AWS/GCP) to set up servers/apps to this end.
Interact with many elements of the tech stack
- Our tech stack spans several databases, pipelines and third-party services - these all need to be able to pass data back and forth. This role involves making sure that these systems operate as expected and will involve implementing changes and improvements in the way they operate.
Communication and collaboration
- You will be working closely with the Data functions at Yoco - Data Science, Business Intelligence and Business Analysis - as well as the system engineers and developers.
Optimise and rework code
- Part of this function will be to put code from the Data area into production. This will involve ensuring that the code is ready to publish on our automation systems - be it a data pipeline job for airflow, a predictive model in python, a trigger-response job leveraging our data systems, etc.
Set up monitoring and notifications
- Put the relevant monitoring systems in place to alert the team when something has gone wrong with one of the systems or data sources. Identify and fix the cause of failure. Ensure quality of data passing through the systems
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Key requirements to perform responsibilities:
- BSc Computer Science or equivalent analytics or computation degree
- 3+ years experienceworking with data systems and/or operational systems
- Very fast learner and keen to get your hands dirty early on with experiments and hacks
- SQL technologies: PostgreSQL& Redshift
- Experience setting up AWS/GCP systems
- Database optimisation and pipelining skills
- Integrations and API experience
- Experience with:
- CRMs: Salesforce & Zendesk
- Data tracking tools: Segment
- Data pipelining tools: StitchData, Apache Airflow
EXPECTATIONS OF YOCO EMPLOYEES
Dealing with People
- Communicating & influencing:Strong communication skills across various mediums, building collaborative relationships internally and externally.
Dealing with Business
- Preventing & solving problems: Diagnostic information gathering and research, analytical thinking, application of conceptual thinking to problem solving.
- Achieving results: Proactive/initiative, customer orientated, fostering innovation, continuous improvement mind-set, appreciation of results, business acumen, thoroughness and detail orientated
Dealing with Self-management
- Self-confidence, personal credibility, flexibility, adaptability and strong sense of personal accountability
VALUE PROPOSITION | WHAT WILL YOU BE GETTING?
As part of the Yoco team, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in the growth of the mobile Point of Sale opportunity in South Africa.
To support this we have built a role-based organisation; where every individual is given the space to focus and develop his or her innate strengths. Everyone here has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels.
Please Note: Thank you for taking the time to apply for this role. Please note that, at times, we receive large volumes of applications and this makes for an extremely competitive selection process. Should you not receive feedback from us within 4 weeks (depending on the urgency to hire), this would mean we are unable to move forward with your application. However, should anything change on our end, we will definitely reach out to you.