Join Yoco and help us to solve real problems for businesses in Africa, and beyond.
Yoco is looking for a Software Development Manager that wants to help take our team of Software Engineers to new heights. Ideally, you’re an experienced engineer that found a passion for the people aspect of software engineering, and you live to see engineering teams succeed as well as the broader venture of the business.
As a Software Development Manager for a team of fifteen professionals, you won’t be expected to contribute through code, but rather through enabling and coaching the professionals in our Engineering team to develop quality software. You'll be part of a strong product and technical team with the United goal of building products that customers love, with talented people. Your core job as a Software Development Manager is to amplify your teammates.
Through your work, you’ll have an impact on over 24 000 merchants.
ROLE | WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING?
- Together with the CTO & VP of Engineering, set the vision and strategy for the Engineering unit.
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of smart engineers, engineering leaders and related personnel.
- Drive the hiring process across the engineering unit, working closely with the CTO on designing a hiring strategy and the People team to source and evaluate new candidates.
- Assist with on-boarding new engineers into the team and codebase, as well as creating new teams fast and effectively.
- Strong focus on delivery centric team development working in conjunction with engineering leads, engineering leadership and product to create a high velocity agile working environment.
- Conduct regular 1 on 1’s with the team, as well as engineering meetings as the team grows.
- Bring predictability to the team’s overall performance and delivery, owning release planning together with the VP of Engineering.
- Through regular 1 on 1’s with your team, establish a strong culture and keep morale at top levels.
- Identify and resolve any issues that are blocking or otherwise hindering the Engineering process.
- Manage the quarterly performance review process within the Engineering unit.
- Assist and coach the scrum master (or people playing that role) to do it to the best of their ability.
- Keep yourself up to date with the latest trends, techniques and technologies in your field.
IDEAL CANDIDATE | WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR?
Key requirements to perform responsibilities:
- 7+ years of proven experience as an Engineering Leader or Software Developer/Team Lead.
- Solid understand and experience in any Open Source programming language (our stack includes React, NodeJS, React Native and Redux – exposure to this stack is advantageous)
- Strong customer-first thinking, showing deep empathy for people and customers.
- Proficient in the art and science of managing a group of technical professionals.
- Able to gain the respect of smart engineers.
- Understanding of performance management processes.
- Strong ability to work closely with developers, product managers, and scrum masters, as well as executives.
- Able to mentor and share knowledge with Software Engineers.
- A pragmatic champion of Agile and an understanding that we use Agile to create customer value effectively.
EXPECTATIONS OF YOCO EMPLOYEES
- Continuously improve on the state of your craft, whatever it may be.
- Strong communication skills across various mediums, building collaborative relationships internally and externally.
- Passion for what we do, and why we do it and using this context to shape everything you do.
- A strong desire to create value at a high velocity.
VALUE PROPOSITION | WHAT WILL YOU BE GETTING?
As part of the Yoco team, you will have the opportunity to play a key role in the growth of the mobile Point of Sale opportunity in South Africa.
To support this we have built a role-based organisation; where every individual is given the space to focus and develop his or her innate strengths. Everyone here has the opportunity to lead a project and become a specialist, enabling flexibility, collaboration and accountability at all levels.
Please Note: Thank you for taking the time to apply for this role. Please note that, at times, we receive large volumes of applications and this makes for an extremely competitive selection process. Should you not receive feedback from us within 4 weeks (depending on the urgency to hire), this would mean we are unable to move forward with your application. However, should anything change on our end, we will definitely reach out to you.