Yoco provides merchants with a mobile point of sale application and card acceptance solution.
The Yoco solution includes a Wireless card reader, a free Yoco Mobile App and also a free Business Portal.
The Yoco app is available for download in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and most Android phones eg. Samsung, Sony, VodaFone etc. You will need an internet or 3G connection to run transactions using Yoco.
Accepting physical card payments with Yoco is done in four simple steps:
1. Pair your Yoco Wireless card reader with the Yoco mobile App via bluetooth.
2. Select the amount or item the customer wants to buy, and click on checkout.
3. Select cash or card payment. If card, the customer inserts the card and enters the PIN into the Yoco Wireless card reader.
4. Within seconds Yoco will let you know when the transaction is successful
Your client would only need their bank card to transact successfully.
Both card readers:
• Work with Android or Apple smartphones and tablets
• Accept VISA and MasterCard transactions (Debit and credit cards)
• Both are swipe/chip and PIN ready
• Both have a tamperproof design
• Have 14 hours of battery life
Yoco Wireless PRO - R2 793 inc VAT (R2 450 ex VAT)
For businesses in busy spaces and lots of transactions
• Great for Bars, Restaurants, Clothing Stores etc
• Best for over 50 transactions daily
• Faster processing (Bluetooth 4.0), NFC (tap-and-pay technology) ready for when it goes live shortly
• Stands and accessories available
Yoco Wireless LITE - R1 995 inc VAT (R1 750 ex VAT)
For businesses starting out and offsite payments.- Great for Deliveries, Beauty Studios, Gyms etc
• Best for less than 50 transactions daily
• No stand available - hand held only
• Bluetooth connectivity only
For full details on the differences between our products visit our Card Reader Page.
Yoco enables you to easily process Visa and MasterCard debit and credit cards. Including chip & pin, swipe and international cards.
Yoco does not currently support RCS, fleet, AMEX or Diner's Club cards.
You can sign up online, either as a registered South African business, or a sole proprietor.
1. You will need a smartphone or tablet (see our list of compatible devices above)
2. You will need a bank account that we can link to your Yoco account
3. If you are signing up as a sole proprietor, you must be a South African citizen with a valid registered SA I.D. Number
4. If you are signing up as a registered business, the applicant must be a principal, director or legal entity
5. You will need to be approved for FICA purposes, which will require a copy of your ID and proof of residence (read more about FICA below)
To process payments using the Yoco card readers you will need to download the Yoco Mobile App - available FREE from the Apple Store or Google Play Store.
• Download now from the Apple Store
• Download now from the Google Play Store
View our pricing page here or review the summary below.
Once off card reader cost:
• PRO - R2 793 inc VAT (R2 450 ex VAT)
• LITE - R1 995 inc VAT (R1 750 ex VAT)
Rates are determined by a sliding scale that is based on your revenue → the more you transact the less you pay and there are no monthly fees. To learn more about our pricing, view our pricing page.
Overview on rates:
• 1.824 - 3.99% (1.6 - 3.5% ex VAT) for transactions
• R2.00 (R1.75 ex VAT) flat fee for transactions under R50
We want to ensure that you're receiving the best rates, so feel free to send us your most recent merchant statement (3 months) and we'll happily see how we can best serve you.
• Free App & Business Portal included.
• There are no contracts, monthly rental fees, admin fees or other additional costs involved.
• No installation fees, settlement fees or penalty fees.
• You are not charged any additional amounts for SMS or email receipts sent, settlement or transferring bank charges.
Yes you can pay off your card reader weekly.
Wireless PRO card reader:
R 209.47 inc VAT p/w* for 16 weeks + R50 processing fee
Wireless LITE card reader:
R 149.62 inc VAT p/w* for 16 weeks + R50 processing fee
*The reference on your bank account will be from Retail Capital and not Yoco
All the card transactions you process with Yoco are paid by Yoco directly into the bank account you provided us with during the registration phase. The amount we settle to your account will be less our transaction fee.
Yoco will settle your account within 24 hours, and just like normal EFT payments, your money will reflect in your account within 24 - 48 hours.
For more information about the settlement schedule, please visit our Settlement Schedule documentation here.
In order to comply with the FICA act we will need to verify your identity. You will need to email the following to email@example.com before we can settle your account:
• A certified copy of your I.D with the barcode showing clearly
• Proof of your residential address - (e.g. Utility bill)
Yoco delivers to any location in South Africa. If you've had problems with deliveries in the past, please contact us.
We aim to get you set up in under 4 days no matter where you are in South Africa. Please be aware that this is subject to credit approval and payment.
Yes, the Yoco card readers can be used with multiple devices. For example, if you and your business partner each have a phone and want to use the card reader separately, you can. However, the card reader can only be used with one device (phone or tablet) at a time. Two people cannot use one card reader at the same time.
It is our goal to help small businesses grow and we invite all businesses to apply for Yoco. However, there are certain products and services that you cannot sell with Yoco. These include:
• Illegal IP trade
• Adult entertainment
• Guns (arms dealing)
Yes, you will require a stable internet connection to use Yoco effectively.
Your phone or tablet will need to be connected to the internet to authenticate payments you accept using Yoco. You can connect to the internet via 3G (cellular data) or Wi-Fi (adsl internet connection).
Yoco does not use much data to process a payment. One transaction uses approximately 50 - 100 KB of data. You can therefore run 10 - 20 transactions per MB, or 10 000 - 20 000 transactions per GB.
No. If your devices (phone or tablet & card reader) are charged you can use Yoco without electricity.
If your internet connection relies on electricity then you will not be able to use Yoco when there is loadshedding, unless your phone or tablet has a sim card with data.
Yes. Yoco is a paperless solution so we have provided you with the option of emailing or SMSing your customers their receipts. There is no charge for sending these receipts and receipts can be resent at any time.
After you complete your application and purchase your card reader you will receive an email with your order details and receipt. Yoco will then vet your application and if everything is in order, your card reader will be dispatched. You will then receive your card reader within 2 working days.
The Vodacom Smart Tab 4G (Approximately R999) The Vodacom Smart Tab 4G is an extremely good deal considering it’s specifications (1.3GHz Quad-core processor, Bluetooth 4.0, released in 2014).Yoco works with iOS (Apple) and Android devices that can connect to the Apple App store or Google Play store. Yoco DOES NOT work with any Blackberry or Windows phone.
iOS devices recommended by Yoco:
Generally, the newer your Apple device is, the better the performance will be. As a minimum, we recommend:
• iPhone 4S
• iPad 3 and up
• All iPad Mini's
• All iPad Pro's
Please note that your Apple device must be running iOS 7 or later.
What Android devices does Yoco recommend?
The Bluetooth specifications, processor speed, type of internet connection (3G, 4G, LTE) and Android version of your smartphone all determine the performance with Yoco. We made a list for you with the best performing smartphones and their approximate prices (as of November 2016).
We support most Android devices on the latest version of the Yoco app (1.0.15 and higher). For the best experience we recommend a phone/tablet with the minimal specs:
• Android 4 and above
• Bluetooth 4 and above
• 1GB RAM and above
• Quad core CPU
The minimum requirements are as follows:
• Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread) and above
• 800x480 screen resolution and higher
• 3G/LTE internet connectivity
• Bluetooth connectivity
• 512 MB of RAM
If you already purchased and have a tablet or smartphone, you can check your specifications this website.
Want some advice as to what device to purchase?
For an Android phone delivering the best performance:
• Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G9287 (Approximately 8199.00 - Octa-core 4x2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 & 4x1.5 GHz Cortex-A53, bluetooth v4.2)
• Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 (Approximately R4999 - Quad-core 2.3 GHz processor, Bluetooth 4.0)
• Samsung Galaxy J5 SM-J500F (Approximately R2949, quad-core 1.2GHz processor, supports Bluetooth 4.1)
If your are looking for a budget option, the following Android smartphones perform well:
• Vodacom Smart Turbo 7 (R1199)
• Samsung Galaxy J1 Mini LTE (R1499)
Are you going to use Yoco as a Point of Sale behind a counter? Then we highly recommend you to work with a tablet. We highly recommend the following Android tablets:
• Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70L (Approximately R4240 - Quad-core 1.7 GHz processor, Bluetooth 4.0).
• HUAWEI MediaPad T1 - A21L (Approximately R3500 - Quad-core 1.2 GHz processor and Bluetooth 4.0)
Looking for a more affordable tablet option?
• The Vodacom power tab 10 (Approximately R1799). This power tablet offers reasonable specifications that will make your setup stable (dual-core, 1.3GHz processor, Bluetooth V2.1).
• The Vodacom Smart Tab 4G (Approximately R999) The Vodacom Smart Tab 4G is an extremely good deal considering it’s specifications (1.3GHz Quad-core processor, Bluetooth 4.0, released in 2014).
Android phones that we have tested and work with the Wireless card reader include:
• Sony Experia E1
• Sony Experia Z2
• ZTE Grand X2
• HTC Desire HD
• HTC One
• Huawei Y520-U22
• Huawei Ascend G525
• LG G2 (and above)
• LG G Flex
• LG Nexus 4 (and above)
• Ruggear RG500
• Samsung Galaxy Note 4
• Samsung Galaxy Note 3
• Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
• Samsung Galaxy S6
• Samsung Galaxy S5
• Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini
• Samsung Galaxy S4
• Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
• Samsung Galaxy S3
• Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus
• Samsung Galaxy A3
• Samsung Galaxy A5
• Samsung Galaxy Young 2
• Samsung Galaxy Trend Neo
• Vodacom Smart 6
Android tablets that we have tested and work with the Wireless card readers include:
• Samsung Note 10.1
• Samsung Galaxy Tab E
• Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000
• Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
• Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite
• Asus Google Nexus 7
• Nivia Shield
• Dell Venue 7
• MTN 8978P Steppa Tablet
We are unable to perform thorough testing on all Android phones, however the ones listed above have been tested and are recommended by Yoco.
If you are unsure if your phone is compatible with the Yoco solution please download the following Spec Device app. Navigate to 'My Spec Link' and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will then be able to confirm if your device is compatible. Please note: If the app is not available for download in the Google Play Store, then it has not met the minimum requirements for the app.
Devices definitely not supported:
• Windows Phone
• Vodacom Smart 4 mini
• Vodafone Smart Tab
• Mediatek chipset
• Sony Experia E4Z
• TE Blade C310
• Huawei Ascend Y220
Sign up, buy a card reader and start growing. No monthly fees or fixed contracts.